Re: What can I do with six new publicly available computers?

Hello Mitja,

>From your description below I understand exactly where you come from (I
have been there too ;-)

If I am correct than you have been using mainly Windows until now and find
Linux pretty cool and was thinking now about setting up this "community
project". First of all, thats a nice idea. Now lets walk through this in
slow motion, shall we ?

First decide (more specifically) what services each machine should REALLY
offer. Dont try to do all in one go.

1) Do you really need a cluster ?
It requires quite some knowledge to set it up and also maintain it.
2) Perhaps you should "Tune" your spec a bit so that it becomes manageable
by a single admin.

I believe what you want is a setup similar to this one.

- Machine A: Fileserver

- Machine B: Web Proxy + Remote desktop server

Other machines (4 left): (Clients)

Version a) The Clients have the Applications installed locally
Version b) The Clients Connect by Remote Desktop sharing to Machine B

As you can see both variants have their advantages in regard to
maintenance, memory, network usage etc.

I wouldnt want to use a video editing application via Remote desktop
sharing, while textediting could even be done in a web interface.

If you really want to go for a cluster I would recommend "Linux Enterprise
Cluster: Build a Highly Available Cluster with Commodity Hardware and Free
Software (Paperback) by Karl Kopper " ISBN 1593270364.

But let that not fool you that you will need quite some time to fully
understand what you can do and cant do on Linux - especially with a
cluster setup, however the book should help to jumpstart the ambitious
effort you have.

BTW: Where in Slovenia is it going to be ?

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com