Re: recover data from a hd

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 11:10 +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
>  Hi there,
>
>  my hd died this morning and I know it is too late and I don't have a
>  backup but is there a way to do a raw read and gather all the
>  information that can be read? One thing might be kind of a problem, however,
>  since the hd is damaged at its very beginning and attempting to mount it gives
>  I/O error on sector 0 and the consecutive ones. So, is there a way to jump
>  after those erroneous sectors and read what's left. Any pointers would be
>  greatly appreciated, thanks!

dd skipping over the 1st few sectors might help, if your new disk
is sufficiently larger than your dead disk.

>  P.S. I'm off to buy a new hd. Any particular brands I should keep away
>  from?

Infinite are the arguments of geeks regarding hard drives.

I've had nothing but success with Maxtor.  Others hate them with
a passion.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA USA

"A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by
people carrying razors."
Waldi Ravens