Re: Qlogic Fibre Channel Controller

Cameron Matheson wrote:

Hi,

Nick wrote:

Hello, I was curious if anyone has installed and/or has any documentation or materials regarding the installation of a qlogic 2340 HBA on a debian box. We would like to connect some debian hosts to a SAN in the near future. Is this a pretty straight forward installation? Or will I be required to recompile
the kernel etc?

I am in the process of doing this myself (same card). I had to compile my kernel, but only because it seems that the debian kernel has removed the qla2300 module (could someone explain to me why?). If you use the vanilla 2.6 sources though it will include the necessary kernel module.

So which drivers did you use? I cannot seem to find suitable driver sources, Could you assist? and what stept did you have to go through to get them installed and working at boot time?

I have a question of my own though. I'm not actually familiar w/ the SAN technology and i'm not sure how to use it. I have two of the qlogic cards in my box. Only one of them is hooked up to the fibre (the kernel detects that it is hooked up), but how do i access the san? I really have no idea how it works but it seems like i should have a /proc/scsi/qla2x00 w/ some various information about the cards, etc. but i dont' have it. Could someone clue me into what i might be doing wrong?

When the drive/module is loaded is should scan for SCSI LUN's attached via the fibre, You are correct, you should see them in /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/scsi/qlaxxx as LUN's.

Here is the procedure to rescan and add devices under linux per Qlogic :

To force a rescan from the command line, type the following command:
# echo "scsi-qlascan" > /proc/scsi/<driver-name>/<adapter-id>
(QLogic driver rescans)

Where:
- <driver-name>  = qla2100, qla2200, qla2300 (2.4 kernel drivers) or qla2xxx (2.6 kernel drivers)
- <adapter-id> = the instance number of the HBA

After executing this command, force the SCSI mid layer to do its own scan and build the device table entry for the new device by typing the following command:
# echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
(scsi mid layer re-scans)

Where:
-  "0 1 2 3" = your "Host Channel ID LUN"

The scanning must be done in the above mentioned order: first the driver (qla2300/qla2200 driver, etc.), and then the Linux SCSI mid layer (i.e. OS scan).

If everything is plumbed and your card is installed ok you should see everything after a reboot, You might check your zoning or any LUN masking you may
have enabled.

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson