Re: Compiling Kernel for Bootsplash: The Whole Seven Metres.

David R. Litwin wrote:
Before I go any further, yes, I need bootsplash: My computer is dual-boot and the other user insists on A: Using Windows and B: Shutting Down every Evening. In addition, I shall be getting a lap-top soon. (By the bye, why doesn't Debian have Bootsplash as a standard?)

I know I need to compile a kernel (which I can do with synaptic and kernel-package) and then patch it.

I do not know how.

I have skimmed through a HOWTO or three. However, they aren't quite answering my questions. So, allow me to elaborate, if you will.

Firstly, I need to get linux-source-2.6.12 from the Debian archives (with Synaptic, in my case). Do I need linux-patch-debian-2.6.12 or linux-tree-2.6.12?

Next, I need use kernel-package. How do I do this? What of menuconfig or some such thing? Must I 'do' this as well?

There is also the matter of Patching. When and how do I do this so that I will have Bootsplash? There is an entry for Sources.list, so I can acquire that which I need from the Bootsplash web-site. But, what do I need? How do I implement this?

I know that this makes me sound like a newby; well, I fairly much am. Not so much that I won't know the slightest thing that you're talking of; I'm just really concerned about screwing up me system and making it un-usable. That's the only reason I'm asking, in fact.

I'm not adverse to reading HOWTOs, as long as they answer all of the questions that I have asked: I know that some do not mention apt-get, which makes me think that they are not Debian specific; which is what I need.

I just got through doing that and I followed this:
http://olterman.homelinux.net/?page=fbsplash&dir=Tutorials

Found it very useful. It works well.

I had to set his --cmd= parm in rc and rcS to "repaint" rather than "paint" because it would not show the background after console-screen.sh runs.

Also I adjusted his textscreen to offset 0,0 because it screwed up my vcstimed that displays things in the upper right hand corner.

BTW, to the remark: "but we don't boot that often..." that all depends on where you live. In Mexico I have lots of power hits, so you boot a lot, even it is just nervousness...

HTH