starting X makes the screen go white (newb - new install)

Hello all,

--intro----

I'm trying (finally) to get debian to work on my Vaio PCG-C1VE.
Using the latest version of the installer (floppy images) i succeeded in installing 3.1 on the little b*st*rd. Previous versions didn't support USB disks (at least not on a noob level) so thx debian!

I used apt to get me the files i needed during the installation (i did have to do an 'ifup -a' to get the network up - and still have to after every reboot - but that's slightly OT here).

Once i got the machine to boot from its own HD i though it would be nice to have GUI to learn my way around debian (and linux in general).

--/intro----

fresh install
i did:
#apt-get install x-window-system
#apt-get install gnome

immediately after this i used vi to change my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
The most important change i did was adding this modeline:
ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync - vsync together with some other minor changes i found on http://www- jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~mma29/c1/

#startx
works fine (this means it starts up ;-/ ), the only thing i get to see is a black screen which bleeds to a very white blue (starting at the edges). Some vertical and horizontal lines can be seen as well, all at the edge of some very white colours.
Some pictures i took during this  happening can be found here:
http://www.yuru.be/debian/startx_1.jpg  (going from 1 to 6)

The only way to get me out of this white hell is by tapping Ctrl-Alt- F1, followed by Ctrl-C to stop the X server.

With my limited knowledge i though i could have forgotten to add a window manager (didn't i read somewhere that this is not included in gnome??) so i did
#apt-get install fvwm

nothing changed.

So here i am writing this mail, hoping somebody here can put me on the right track.

Thx for taking the time to read this,
Jeroen

I would include my XFree86.0.log but i have no idea how to get it of the laptop (skipped mail config in debian installer...)