Re: absurdly simple LAN problem

On 15 Sep 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (15/09/05 15:18), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I've struggled with this one for months! Much perusing of HOWTOs and
> > googling hasn't helped.
> >
> > I have two computers, desktop and laptop, and a wireless router and ADSL
> > modem. Both machines reach the internet without problems, one via a
> > cable link to the modem, the other via  a wireless link to the router.
> >
> > However, they do not communicate with each other. I cannot ping from one
> > to the other though I can ping localhost on each. Turning off the
> > firewall (shorewall) does not help.
> Unless I'm being really dense, I'm not surprised they don't communicate;
>
> Can you elaborate on exactly how they are connected?
>
> PC ---------> ADSL modem -----> internet
>
> Laptop ------->Router------> ?
>

> My point being how would they communicate?
>
> I suspect what you need is:
>
> PC -----------> Router------>ADSL modem
> 		^
> Laptop ---------|
>
> I accept that I may have totally misunderstood ;)  Is the ADSL modem
> also a router?  In which case it may be in it's configuration.

It's a Netgear MR814 router. The ethernet cable from the PC goes to a
local port on the router and the internet port on the router goes to the
modem. The laptop communicates with the router by wireless. That seems
to be your second scenario.

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic