absurdly simple LAN problem

I've struggled with this one for months! Much perusing of HOWTOs and
googling hasn't helped.

I have two computers, desktop and laptop, and a wireless router and ADSL
modem. Both machines reach the internet without problems, one via a
cable link to the modem, the other via  a wireless link to the router.

However, they do not communicate with each other. I cannot ping from one
to the other though I can ping localhost on each. Turning off the
firewall (shorewall) does not help.

I've tried adding the appropriate IP values (192.168.0.20 and
192.168.0.22) to the respective /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow, but it
makes no difference.

I'd like to be able to set up ssh or NFS but I can't because of the
communication failure.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Or am I missing something
obvious?

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic