Re: absurdly simple LAN problem

Anthony Campbell schreef:

> It's a Netgear MR814 router. The ethernet cable from the PC goes to a
> local port on the router and the internet port on the router goes to the
> modem. The laptop communicates with the router by wireless.

Can you ping from both machines to the gateway?

Some routers have a built-in ping utility somewhere in their web
interface; if yours has it, can you ping your desktop and/or laptop from
there?

Sometimes it can help to analyze what's physically travelling over the
wire (or the air, in case of wireless) with tools like ethereal.

Roel Schroeven