Re: Gnome 2.10 going in to etch today

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:21:21PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:46:56PM -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
> > On 9/12/05, H. S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  Neither can I. gnomeo-desktop-environment depends upon sound-juicer >
> > > 2.10.1. And such a sound-juicer doesn't exist in Debian Testing at present.
> >
> > And this begs the question, why does gnome-desktop-environment
> > *depend* on something like sound-juicer?
>
> Because the whole reason the "gnome-desktop-environment" *meta-package*
> exists is to give you a complete Gnome.  Not Gnome minus whatever *this*
> cluebie doesn't like, whatever *that* cluebie doesn't like, etc.
>
> If you don't like what the meta-package installs, don't use the
> gods-be-damned thing.  Install one of the sub-packages, install whatever
> parts of Gnome float your boat.  The dependencies of the meta-package tell
> you what they all are.

To: OP
Also, if you do not use aptitude, you can install the metapackage and then
remove particular packages that you don't want. (And also remove the metapackage
so that it does not reinstall what you don't want.) Most of the time I use
aptitude, but for situations like the one you object to, I switch to dselect
and override the metapackage processing that is one of the main reasons for
using aptitude, IMHO.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net