Re: Gnome 2.10 going in to etch today

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:46:56PM -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
> On 9/12/05, H. S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Neither can I. gnomeo-desktop-environment depends upon sound-juicer >
> > 2.10.1. And such a sound-juicer doesn't exist in Debian Testing at present.
>
> And this begs the question, why does gnome-desktop-environment
> *depend* on something like sound-juicer?

Because the whole reason the "gnome-desktop-environment" *meta-package*
exists is to give you a complete Gnome.  Not Gnome minus whatever *this*
cluebie doesn't like, whatever *that* cluebie doesn't like, etc.

If you don't like what the meta-package installs, don't use the
gods-be-damned thing.  Install one of the sub-packages, install whatever
parts of Gnome float your boat.  The dependencies of the meta-package tell
you what they all are.

Oh, wait... that would mean you'd actually have a clue about what testing
is, wouldn't it?

> Shouldn't that be a "recommends"?

No.

> What if I prefer to use a different CD ripping app?

Then do so.  Isn't choice wonderful?

> Why should I *have* to install sound-juicer?

You don't.  See above.

> And this same question applies to a lot of other packages. Often if I
> try to upgrade a bunch of stuff, ...

<snip OP describing his misunderstanding of how updates work>

Why don't you just stick to stable, huh?

--
 Marc Wilson |     Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will
 msw@cox.net |     take care of themselves.  -- Lazarus Long