Re: Help!

quote from Kent West:
"but the "better" design is the more usable design, IMO"

This is true for simpler devices. Not an OS.

quote from Kent West:
"The same applies to can openers, car stereos, telephones, entertainment
centers, and a host of other devices: if you want me to use your
product, make it easy to use."

OK, I'd be frustrated if I had to read a manual to use a can opener. A can opener is made of two parts: a handle and a tooth. Either you grab the handle and use the tooth to open the can, or you grab the tooth and open the can with the handle. Hence, it takes two tries for a person to figure how it works... Just kidding... but that simplicity does not apply to OSes.

"This is especially true when it's a one-time use, such as working an unfamiliar TV when you're in the hospital for one night, etc."

Someone who is about to install an OS into a computer, most likely, does not have an eventual relation with this computer, or with its owner.

My point is: given the same functionality, the easier is the best. But when functionality varies, it is ok to compromise easiness.

From my experience helping people with computers, any OS is hard to install. The average user does not even know how to change the boot sequence, in order to get the cd to boot. What they do know is how to use the programs he/she is familiar with. This means:
- turn computer on.
- get into graphical env. - click and open programs.
- create documents.
- save.
- turn computer off.

I don't mean that averagers suck. What I'm trying to point (i've made this point
before in several different forums) is that linux will gain popularity by means of two types of users: technical staff and enthusiasts. Those who can, in the very first place, be at least aware there's an alternative to windows. And these will, in turn, convince/teach/convert the average user. This was the way win gained popularity, back in the early days.

I also do believe that any modern distro can be setup to be an equally easy to use desktop than windows. Using Linux is as easy as is with windows (actually, easier, because Linux is more configurable). Setting up, in the other hand, isn't. Which is why there must be a well trained technical staff around.