Re: Compiling Kernel for Bootsplash: The Whole Seven Metres.

"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> writes:

> Before I go any further, yes, I need bootsplash: My computer is dual-boot and
> the other user insists on A: Using Windows and B: Shutting Down every Evening.
> In addition, I shall be getting a lap-top soon. (By the bye, why doesn't
> Debian have Bootsplash as a standard?)
>
> I know I need to compile a kernel (which I can do with synaptic and
> kernel-package) and then patch it.
>
> I do not know how.
>
> I have skimmed through a HOWTO or three. However, they aren't quite answering
> my questions. So, allow me to elaborate, if you will.
>
> Firstly, I need to get linux-source-2.6.12 from the Debian archives (with
> Synaptic, in my case). Do I need linux-patch-debian-2.6.12 or
> linux-tree-2.6.12?

I find it easiest to just grab the vanilla sources straight from
kernel.org.  The Debian ones tend to be crippled and patched, which
makes it a pain to apply new patches.

Basically, the steps are:

1. Download the kernel source

2. Extract it to /usr/src, or wherever you'd prefer

3. Download the bootsplash patch from http://www.bootsplash.de/files/

4. 'cd' into the extracted kernel source directory and run 'patch -p1
   /path/to/bootsplash.diff'

5. Run 'make menuconfig', customize as needed, and be sure to set
   CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH=y

6. Run 'make-kpkg kernel_image'.  See /usr/share/doc/kernel-packages for
   lots more info.

7. Use 'dpkg -i' to install the newly build kernel package

> Next, I need use kernel-package. How do I do this? What of menuconfig or some
> such thing? Must I 'do' this as well?
>
> There is also the matter of Patching. When and how do I do this so that I will
> have Bootsplash? There is an entry for Sources.list, so I can acquire that
> which I need from the Bootsplash web-site. But, what do I need? How do I
> implement this?

Add to the /etc/apt/sources.list:

  deb http://debian.bootsplash.de unstable main

And then install:

bootsplash
bootsplash-theme-whatever

And probably sysv-rc-bootsplash if you want a working progress bar.
It looks like they also have some packages for apply the kernel patch,
but I've never bothered with those.

I think that's about it...

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.