Re: Compiling Kernel for Bootsplash: The Whole Seven Metres.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
Alvin used the keyboard to craft this:

  >|bad boy ...
  >|
  >|i asume you do know, that your system is statisticly more likely
  >|to die exponentionally each time you reboot your PC.. the more
  >|you reboot it, the lifespan of your machine just wend down
significantly

Really............ or is this just another urban myth. I had a laptop
running windows, powered by a generator [really bad] for 5 years, then
mains power when I moved, and it ran for another 3 years, used all the
time, booted at least once, usually many more times a a day. But then
the 850MB hard drive started to get develop some bad blocks, and the m/b
battery died and I allowed it to rest. 8 out of 10 ain't bad. Windows
crashed sometimes, but not that often.

I have read some posts on this rebooting, many times. Opinion seems to
vary, and am on my second lappy at the moment. This time on deep cycle
batteries, charged by solar panels and generator at times. Gets booted
at least 3 times a day for the last 12 months. Often more some days.
Dependant on power, so must be switched off. I will see how long its
hardware lasts.

It would also depend on the make and model of each machine, I would
think, and it would also depend on each piece of hardware.

I just tend to question everything.

  +++++++
Registered Linux User:- 329524
Whether the flower looks better in the nosegay than in the meadow where
it grew and we had to wet our feet to get it! Is the scholastic air any
advantage? .......................................Henry David Thoreau

Really starting to enjoy Linux Debian Sarge