changing window managers

I have been using icewm for about 5 years, but I have been
having problems since I upgraded to sarge.  So I decided
to try another window manager, but I can't figure out how
to get xwindows to use the new window manager.  I have
searched google and debian user, tried 'update-alternatives
--config x-window-manager', editing symlinks, looking
though all of the config files in /etc/X11 and I just
can't figure out what is loading the window manager.

I seems like I remember that years ago all you had to do
put the name of window manager at the top of some file,
but I can't find anything like that.

Can someone please help me?

   Larry