Re: OT: U.S. federal income tax program

> > On Saturday 27 August 2005 06:12 am, Jacob S wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I trust my ability to use awful software (Windows) more than I
> > > trust sys-admins I've never met to keep internet servers secure.
> >
> > I seriously question the intelligence of trusting software known to be
> > insecure and unfixable over paid professionals with an obligation to
> > maintain  security.

Interesting that yesterday I thought this thread was going *way* off
topic and just more garbage in the inbox for most users.  I mean, how
many folks on this list really care about the politics of the IRS.
Heck, many on this list don't even file taxes in the US.

Well, today I'm contributing to it.  Aahhh...

Anyway, ran across this today on cryptome.org.  Interesting to see what
the IRS is up to in regard to data transmission between the e-file
partners:

> Internet Transmission Filers
>
>     Recognizing that the majority of e-commerce and e-government
> applications are migrating to the Internet and using standard
> technologies, the Internal Revenue Service has provided the ability for
> authorized e-file Trading Partners to electronically transmit return
> information via an IRS-provided and certified secure Internet
> transport. Use of this secure Internet transport will require the use
> of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Version 3.0 using 128-bit encryption keys
> in an operational mode using the current modem based file transmission
> commands within a client commonly termed ``TELNET/S''. Note that EMS is
> unable to support the FTP protocol over the TELNET/S connection, but
> will continue to support Zmodem, YModem Batch, and XModem 1K protocols.

Anyway, there is more information in the Federal Register or on cryptome:

http://cryptome.org/irs082305.txt

The rest of the document is interesting as well and is quite short.

-Jeff