Re: U.S. federal income tax program

%% Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

  rj> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:10 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

  >> There are a large number of 100% web-based tax programs available.
  >> These work very well on Linux.

  rj> Am I the only person who has seen all of the sites that leave
  rj> confidential data just lying around on publicly accessible servers,
  rj> and not want my tax info to be lying around on misconfigured tax
  rj> web servers?

Are you talking about during the filing of your return, or keeping the
info for next year?  If the former, as others have mentioned, unless you
paper file your info is going to be on the same servers whether you use
a local or web-based tax program.

If the latter, I think there's an option where you can have it forget
your info.  If you use the free services it won't keep any info anyway
(the remembering of info so you don't have to type it in next year is
one of the features of the for-pay web service).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.