Re: U.S. federal income tax program

%% John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:

  jh> Roberto C. Sanchez writes:

  >> But do you intend to file electronically?  If so, then the server
  >> housing (or at least initially processing) the transaction and
  >> information is publically accessible over the net.

  jh> But it won't be an IRS server (in the US).  The IRS accepts
  jh> filings only over their own secure network.  When you file on line
  jh> the data goes to whichever "eFile" outfit you choose and then to
  jh> the IRS.  I'm not worried about security of my return (there's
  jh> nothing in it worth knowing) but I don't trust those outfits not
  jh> to garble or lose it.

I'm not sure what you're saying here... there's an argument to be made
that the web-based systems store your information on the company's
server and thus it's a security issue.  That can be solved by having a
local program instead of a web-based one but, as we know, there isn't
one that works on Linux (I tried to use TaxCut last year with CrossOver
Office--no joy).  But then you say there's nothing in your return worth
knowing so I don't think you're concerned about this anyway...?

You seem to be saying you don't want to e*file at all because your
return might get garbled or lost?  I don't think that's a legitimate
concern.  First, you get email confirmation every step of the way so IF
the IRS doesn't receive it, you'll know about it (no confirmation).
Second, mistakes in transmission are the responsibility of the e*file
company and you are not responsible for them (IIRC).  I'm sure they use
checksumming and similar methods to ensure the integrity of the data.

And of course, it cuts down on mistakes that hand-filing might introduce
at the other end (data entry etc.)

IMO E*file is excellent; I encourage everyone to use it.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.