Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On 8/25/05, Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> When are you going to lobby the producers of e-mail clients to add a
> "Reply To List" button?  Shouldn't be *too* hard for someone as smart as
> you are.

I just wanted to interject something here:  I hope all of the other
gmail users on this list have requested that google do the following:
1) Stop using quoted/printable encapsulation of pure-ASCII email,
since it's unnecessary and screws up some mailing list software (eg,
the lack of the standard debian footer); and
2) Handle mailing list headers appropriately for replies.  Gmail
obviously has enough intelligence built in to recognize lists, since
it can display email differently depending on whether or not it's a
list.  For some reason, though, they don't provide "Reply to list" as
an option.

If I'm the only one who has requested these changes, they won't get
done.  The more requests they get for a feature (even if that
"feature" is really a bug fix), the more likely they are to implement
it.  Heck, I've got 50 invitations: I'm willing to give out accounts
to people for no other purpose than to request these fixes.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh