Re: Do I have to use Exim?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:21:20 -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:

> I don't want to learn to use this thing!  If I want to get mail off
> my local system I will use my ISP's smtp server.

So this does work, right ?

> what is the simplest MTA that will just pass messages between
> /var/mail spools?

Sorry, this is *not* how e-mails work. MTAs don't pass messages between
spools. I am afraid, if you want to do what I guess, you will have to read
a bit. No good pointer from here, though.
'Passing messages' means retrieving them (client) and sending them to an
MTA for subsequent delivery.

> And if the answer is "exim is the simplest" then tell me, how can I do
> without an MTA?

I don't consider it the easiest. Though quite seasoned, I never fully
understand those alternatives of which I have to click one at an install.
So, my next step then is always to apt-get install postfix.
If you don't want to receive for a domain and don't want Maildir, it ought
to work as is. Together with any some client; CLI or GUI.

HTH,

Uwe