Re: breakage of setserial in Sarge

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:12:10 -0500, W. Paul Mills wrote:

> Perhaps you should read  "/usr/share/doc/setserial/README.Debian.gz"
> See "/usr/share/doc/setserial/serial.conf" for a sample serial.conf file
> if you need one.

I don't need one if the serial.conf is where it is supposed to be.

Paul,

my qualms are not about it not working.
It is bad practice to start reading documentation somewhere down in
/usr/share/doc/... of whose existence we don't know.
It is good old tradition instead to refer to man and start reading the man
pages. If these are wrong, it is a bug.
It is not the task of the user to keep track on how often and if he ever
dpkg-reconfigured an application. If dpkg-reconfigure cannot do what I
request, it needs to tell me; but not to pretend it does.
It is logically false to save default system settings once before you
can install a program that you need to change those settings. Except
as backup. But here those new settings for which you install, cannot
be saved. Except in /var/lib/setserial/, which again is a very wrong
place for a config file that good old tradition wants us to see in
/etc/.
Had the latter been the case, I would have simply followed my instincts
and vi-ed another line to it.
KISS

Uwe