Re: Do I have to use Exim?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:21:20PM -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> what is the simplest MTA that will just pass messages between
> /var/mail spools?
>
> And if the answer is "exim is the simplest" then tell me, how can I do
> without an MTA?  (I have, BTW, fooled around with the "deliver" package.)

In case you use fetchmail (or getmail, maybe) with procmail or pycmail, you can get your file
delivered into your inbox directly.

For example, if you want your files in /var/mail/<username>, just
create an entry in your .fetchmailrc like

poll <myserver> with proto IMAP and
options no dns user 'username'
with pass "password"
is 'localuser' here mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

Now, fetchmail calls procmail directly, instead of using an MTA, and
you can completely bypass the MTA part.

man fetchmailrc for details.

HTH.

Kumar