Re: Do I have to use Exim?

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> what is the simplest MTA that will just pass messages between=20
> /var/mail spools?

I recommend that you install postfix.

  apt-get install --purge postfix

Then when it asks you for the configuration use this one:

  Local delivery only - You are not on a network.  Mail for local
  users is delivered.

However exim4 has the same configuration.  If that is what you want
you could do the same thing with exim4 too.  And exim is a fine
mailer.  Since you already have exim installed use this command to
reconfigure it:

  dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

Then when it asks you for the configuration use this one:

  local delivery only; not on a network

That is a pretty darn simple configuration.

> I don't want to learn to use this thing!  If I want to get mail off
> my local system I will use my ISP's smtp server.  This thing's documentation
> is just too complex for my needs. =20

I realize you are upset about this.  But your sentences do not make
sense.  You could not be using your ISP smtp to get mail off of your
local system.

> And if the answer is "exim is the simplest" then tell me, how can I do
> without an MTA?  (I have, BTW, fooled around with the "deliver" package.)

I can't imagine a simpler configuration.  When asked to configure the
mailer you would have been presented with this menu:

  internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP
  mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
  mail sent by smarthost; no local mail
  local delivery only; not on a network
  manually convert from handcrafted Exim v3 configuration
  no configuration at this time

For your preference you would choose "local delivery only; not on a
network" and be happy.  In what way could this be made simpler such
that your would be happy trying to configure it?  If you can think of
a way then file an enhancement request on the package.

By the way, the deliver package is something completely different.  It
is not an MTA and will not operate as a substitute for exim or postfix.

Bob