Re: Serial comm program

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:32:56AM -0400, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 01:13 am, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > On 08/10/2005 12:27:50 AM, Chris Palmer wrote:

> ...  I SSH into that server, then telnet into the device.  When
> I'm working on a device, being able to scroll back to stuff that's scrolled
> off the screen is vital.  We're required to log everything we do to the
> devices, so logging at all times is necessary.  There are a number of actions
> that are highly repetitive.  Scripting them makes it much easier and reduces
> the chances of error.  I also need to paste in long configs.  If the info is
> pasted in too fast, the router or switch will drop characters, so I need
> something with a configurable delay after pasting characters or lines from
> the clipboard.  Most of the time, I upload new IOS files via TFTP.  If a
> router crashes or the flash memory croaks or for whatever reason it will only
> come up to the rommon> prompt, it may require transfer via xmodem. etc, etc.

Are you familiar with 'screen'?  It's a bitch to google for help on the
damn program, on account of the pedestrian name, but including the
string 'screenrc' (the config file name) often helps.  One hint: if
you're use Ctrl-A a lot, e.g. in emacs or readline etc., bind screen's
escape key to something else, like ctrl-T, by appending the following
the /etc/screenrc (or ~/.screenrc, as you see fit):

escape ^Tt

I've been known to use netcat to upload text to cisco devices.
Something like:

netcat hostname 23 < script.txt

where script.txt looks like:

password
term len 0
sho mac-address-table
exit

I know I'm not answering your original question; just thought I'd add
further confusion by introducing even more options... ;)

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager