Re: Serial comm program

On 08/10/2005 12:27:50 AM, Chris Palmer wrote:

As Unix-like-system afficionados, we can't afford to get uppity about
what decade our software was designed and implemented in. :)

Like Gregory, I find minicom entirely sufficient. In fact I very
nearly
like it.

As for the rest of it, why have everything in one big wad?
If you want a window with scrollback use an xterm.
If you want ssh/scp/sftp/telnet/rsh then use that
program.  If you want session logging use script.
If you want kermit/xmodem/ymodem/zmodem use kermit
or sz/rz/sx/rx etc.  And you can script it all to
automate your tasks, which you can't do with a
regular GUI.  If you can't recall the commands and
_must_ have them in a menu then wack something
out with tcl/tk or make a special menu bar/drawer/applets
with gnome or whatever.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein