Re: (re-)boot woes

[please cc any reply as not always subscribed to list]

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Kevin Mark wrote:

I noticed a program called 'recoverjpeg'. If you have jpeg this may be a
savior (although I have not used this program).

Thanks for the pointer. Most of the files are, in fact, jpegs; although there's a number of pngs and a few gifs in there too. I'll go grab me a copy -- sounds like a useful tool to have for the _next_ time I screw up like this (!) -- but as I've said in a reply to Bob, I've already managed to get (almost) all images back.

Have you tried Knoppix or such

Yes; that's what I'm using (also Ubuntu); and have now downloaded HELIX and PenguinSleuth as well (qv).

(is that what you meant by non-invasive cd)?

Knoppix is invasive -- i.e. if it finds a swap partition when probing the hard drive, it will mount it and use it; for pukka forensic work, this constitues interfering with the disk, and invalidates any conclusions drawn about the contents of the disk.

HELIX and PenguinSleuth are both specially adapted versions of Knoppix which don't do this; hence more suited for forensic work. (PenguinSleuth also has Autopsy, and an improved version of The Coroner's Toolkit built in; plus a few other disk investigation/recovery tools.)
[But see my comments elswhere about the use of the cp command.  Bizarre.
I don't really know enough about the guts of system commands to figure out what's happening -- in my case, it provoked a beneficial auto-repair (of sorts); in other cases though it could be exactly the wrong thing to do.

 > Does the partitions
contain an unusual FS type

ext3 only

There are also other boot manager that are reported to 'find' the
requied info to boot with.

Yeah; if I'd used grub from the start, maybe I wouldn't have had this problem (i.e. not finding initrd image). Unfortunately, I didn't.

Anyone know of any others I might be able to use in this situation?

Any way, good luck.

Thanks.
Still digging.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/