Re: (re-)boot woes

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 12:31:49PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Martin Wheeler wrote:
> > [please cc any reply as not always subscribed to list]
> >
> > Problem:
> > I just hosed a Toshiba Satellite 1110 laptop (multi-boot: XP and three
> > different kernels of Debian testing - 2.6.8, 2.4.27 & 2.4.26) by trying to
> > add SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, which barfed on the re-boot.
> > [L 07 07 07 recurring]   My fault; this machine would never have re-booted
> > from an external USB device, anyway.
> >
> > Now, any attempt to boot from rescue disk using <whatever>linu[z|x]
> > root=/dev/hda2 results in:
> >
> >           unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> This looks like an initrd problem.  As in that the kernel needs an
> initrd (initial ram disk) with the module drivers to load the root
> filesystem.  But these appear not to be getting loaded and so the root
> filesystem cannot be mounted.  If using grub it should automatically
> detect the initrd.  But if using lilo this needs to be added manually
> to the lilo.conf file or be able to see the symlinked files.
>
> > (And I've also got a partition that holds a lot of valuable data that's
> > now showing empty.  This is the real tragedy.  I don't mind blowing away
> > and re-formatting; as long as I can get that data back.  It's the only set
> > of photographs I have of a pilgrimage to Rome and back, being prepared
> > to be put on CD.)
>
> I am sorry for your potential loss.
>
> > Booting form non-invasive CD, I've been able to make bit-for-bit copies of
> > each partition, as well as the whole disk; and readable copies of
> > everything, *except* what used to be in the now-empty partition.
>
> Making bit copies of everything is definitely a good idea.
>
> > Any ideas?  I *really* need some help here.
Hi Bob and Martin,
I noticed a program called 'recoverjpeg'. If you have jpeg this may be a
savior (although I have not used this program). Have you tried Knoppix
or such (is that what you meant by non-invasive cd)? Does the partitions
contain an unusual FS type (not ext3, ext2) like reiser or xfs?
There are also other boot manager that are reported to 'find' the
requied info to boot with. You may want to 'apt-cache search boot' and
try to get a boot disk with one of these? Maybe tom's root boot or
something similar may help or one of those special knoppix/repair cds.
Any way, good luck.
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!