Re: Screen Size

On 31/07/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> David R. Litwin wrote:

> >>You can also change resolution on-the-fly with
> >>Ctrl-Alt-PlusSignOnNumberPad (or Ctrl-Alt-Ctrl-Alt-MinusSignOnNumberPad).
> >>

> >That only causes the displayed image to get bigger: The actual area
> >remains the same. But, it is a good thing to know about. Thanks.
> >

> Again, what you're describing sounds like you need to tweak the buttons
> on the monitor itself, even though you "know it isn't the Monitor". I'm
> not saying that's the case; I'm saying that _sounds_ like the case.
> Sure, you may have "screwed up a bit when re-installing", but that
> doesn't mean the monitor itself hasn't reset itself somewhere along the
> way. At least try the settings on the monitor to see what happens,  just
> to get me to shut up about it.

I have looked at the monitor settings. It was the first thing that I
did. I know that there is a problem when the following happens. When I
choose menu and special on my monitor, it gives a read-out of 800x600
at 72Hz. If I change the display size using control+alt++, the
read-out is now at 640x480 at 60Hz. Every thing has been enlarged on
the screen: But not the actual area of the screen being used: The
usable image is still in a black box, as it were. It also makes me ill
to look at it.

I hope this satisfies you. I know why you are suggesting that it is a
monitor problem: I assure you, it isn't. I shall now implement your
advice on the XFree86Conf-4 file. And, no, I've not upgraded to either
Etch or Sid, so I haven't x.org. I've decided to wait until I am sure
I want to up-date before I do. Normally I would in an instant, but
I've been hearing too many problems arising (and a main server being
down: I'll wait).

So, there is the status quo. I go forth to alter. Wish me good skill.

Good-morrow.