Screen Size

My screen is currently giving me a size of 800 x 600 70MgH. I would
like to change this to the one under (7 or 6 some thing, I believe).
However, when I use the screen re-sizer (Or go in to KDE's Control
Centre, Peripherals, Monitor and change it there), it simply causes
the picture to get bigger but no extra spaced of the monitor is
filled. I hope that makes sense.

How do I get the picture to take up the whole screen?

Thank you kindly in advance.
--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.