Re: Screen Size

David R. Litwin wrote:

>I know it isn't the Monitor because I screwed up a bit when
>re-installing. It asks the default size and I gave one that was once
>size too big.
>
>I found the said file and the bits pertaining. But, there seem to be
>quite a few. Should I change them all or only some?
>
>Section "Monitor"
>	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
>	HorizSync	28-48
>	VertRefresh	43-72
>	Option		"DPMS"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Screen"
>	Identifier	"Default Screen"
>	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]"
>	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
>	DefaultDepth	24
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		1
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		4
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		8
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		15
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		16
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Depth		24
>		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection
>EndSection
>
>Thank you Kindly in advance.
>

>(And, by the bye, my Screen is not what it has listed (I. E.: ATI
>Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC].). Does it
>really matter or should I change it?)

Be aware that if you manually tweak this file, running "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86" will no longer have any effect until you do the steps
listed at the top of the file. So if you haven't already manually
modified this file, you might want to run the dpkg-reconfigure command
instead.

Your default depth is 24, so you can just change that section, provided
you never switch depths; otherwise, just change them all (which is what
I'd do anyway, to be consistent).

You can also change resolution on-the-fly with
Ctrl-Alt-PlusSignOnNumberPad (or Ctrl-Alt-Ctrl-Alt-MinusSignOnNumberPad).

The ATI description is just a description for human eyes; it's
irrelevant to X. What matters is the driver line.

--
Kent