aptitude : how to merge the "new packages" directory

Hello.

I have a question about aptitude.
I use to run debian testing sarge and stick to sarge when it got stable.

I usually manage packages with aptitude.
Of course their was a "new packages" directory as new packages were introduced on a regular basis to the debian repository.

But now, since sarge is frozen, i don't understand why this directory is still there. I was just looking for a gnome package and couldn't find it. I know alphabet, so i just went : where is this package? It was neither in the installed and uninstalled directores but in the new packages directory.

The directory isn't usefull to me anymore. i'd to merge it.

There is this option "forget new packages"...