rme/alsa troubles

I can't get my RME 9632 soundcard to work.

Debian stable (sarge), Sun dual Opteron box, AMD64 smp 2.6 kernel,
installed from "official binary DVD" (packages from 'Net).

There was no hdspmixer or hdspconf from the install because there's no
alsa-tools package in the new sarge (it also doesn't install the
evolution spelling checker). Alsa-tools fetched and compiled OK, but
they both say there's no HDSP card:

HDSPMixer 1.6 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details

Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : ÉÃ
No Hammerfall DSP card found.

HDSPConf 1.4 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
This program comes WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPConf is free software, see the file copying for details

Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : ?Â?Ò¸ÿÿÿÿtÇ
No Hammerfall DSP card found.

Neither one can find it, but they print different garbage for Card 0.
The garbage seems to be consistent, though, if that means anything.

The HOWTOs I've been able to find talk about 2.4 kernels. The card works
under DeMuDi, and I had it going in the Gentoo days. There's a /dev/dsp,
but without running hdspmixer, it's going to be muted. If there's really
anything there...

Any suggestions? HOWTO URLs?

What I'm really looking for is an explanation of how ALSA works (and
what's been done to Debianize it) -- I'd like to understand it. But
magic incantations would do for the time being.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com