Re: installation of a package requests removal of a lot of packages

Gena Batyan wrote:

> Ms Linuz wrote:
>
>> Gena Batyan wrote:

>>> Sure, I'm doing it almost every day in the hope that it gets resolved.
>>> Nothing helps
>>>

>> I think it's just a depedency problem. In my unstable box, apt
>> is doing the same thing for at least a week(?)
>> AFAIK aspell is 'messing up' this time.
>> But if you can narrow down the depedencies then you could find
>> several packages are upgradable.
>> I've upgraded cups, and and several x packages this morning.
>> However, it is wiser to wait.
>>
>> How about other packages ? Do you encounter the same problem ?
>

> Now that's great :-( I've made apt-get dist-upgrade and now everything
> is even worse.
>
> Now I'm not in the mood to look for the problem cause it looks like
> everything is screwed up _again_ with dependencies, which I hate, so
> I'll need some time for rehabilitation :)
>
> But here are some suggestions (merely how I understand everything):
>
> libaspell15c2 is kinda new version to replace libaspell15.
> Lots of packages depends on libaspell15
> but libaspell15c2 is incompatible with libaspell15 and tries to
> replace it (they can't live together).
>
> As a side effect apt-get wants to remove everything depending on
> libaspell15, which is a whole lot of stuff.
>
> Kind Regards!

Pls, do not reply privately. Other people in the list might help you better.

It is not wise to do dist-upgrade unless you know what you're doing.
However, apt will always ask for permission before doing its things. So, you
should be able to consider wheter to continue or not.
Ex: if apt want to remove a huge of packages which is so silly if we
continue,
    then we can always say NO.

Several times ago, gnome-panel will be removed if doing dist-upgrade,
and some
people had 'suffered' from that.

--w.h--