Re: installation of a package requests removal of a lot of packages

Gena Batyan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using unstable and I have encountered a strange situation a few times.
>
> When trying to install a package using apt-get, it says among other
> things 'following packages will be REMOVED: ...' and this list is HUGE!
>
> I'll give an example. I'm trying to install gaim, which depends on the
> package libaspell15c2
>
> What in the name of god is going on here??? How can a package request
> deinstallation of almost a complete system, most of the packages
> scheduled for removal have NOTHING to do with the library.
>
> below I include what apt-get shows me when trying to install this library.

Firstly, you should use aptitude instead of apt-get, which is not a
proper package manager.  This has been pointed out numerous times over
the years, and perhaps it should be more apparent in the Debian docs.

Secondly, if you are using unstable, you should know how to deal with
this stuff.

Thirdly, can you post /etc/apt/sources.list?