Re: installation of a package requests removal of a lot of packages

On 07/28/2005 11:55 am, Gena Batyan wrote:
> pier wrote:
> > Gena Batyan wrote:
> >>I'm using unstable and I have encountered a strange situation a few
> >> times. When trying to install a package using apt-get, it says among
> >> other things 'following packages will be REMOVED: ...' and this list is
> >> HUGE! I'll give an example. I'm trying to install gaim, which depends on
> >> the package libaspell15c2
> >>What in the name of god is going on here??? How can a package request
> >>deinstallation of almost a complete system, most of the packages
> >>scheduled for removal have NOTHING to do with the library.
> >
> > Have you tried to do an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade before?
> > Or an apt-get -f install?
>
> Sure, I'm doing it almost every day in the hope that it gets resolved.
> Nothing helps

This happened to me when I installed packages from both stable and unstable; I
had a mixed system.

I think it might help if you "pin" your system and then if you want to install
gaim from unstable, build it from source after doing 'apt-get build-dep
gaim'.

If you want to install packages from unstable, you are going to have problems
like this one again and again.