Re: installation of a package requests removal of a lot of packages

Gena Batyan wrote:

> pier wrote:
>
>> Gena Batyan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using unstable and I have encountered a strange situation a few
>>> times.
>>> When trying to install a package using apt-get, it says among other
>>> things 'following packages will be REMOVED: ...' and this list is HUGE!
>>> I'll give an example. I'm trying to install gaim, which depends on the
>>> package libaspell15c2
>>> What in the name of god is going on here??? How can a package request
>>> deinstallation of almost a complete system, most of the packages
>>> scheduled for removal have NOTHING to do with the library.
>>

>> Have you tried to do an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade before?
>> Or an apt-get -f install?
>
> Sure, I'm doing it almost every day in the hope that it gets resolved.
> Nothing helps

I think it's just a depedency problem. In my unstable box, apt
is doing the same thing for at least a week(?)
AFAIK aspell is 'messing up' this time.
But if you can narrow down the depedencies then you could find
several packages are upgradable.
I've upgraded cups, and and several x packages this morning.
However, it is wiser to wait.

How about other packages ? Do you encounter the same problem ?

--w.h--