Re: questions about anti virus tools in linux

On Tuesday July 26 2005 12:23 am, Trace Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to do some antivirus scan for my windows partitions in
> LiveCD, so, i want to ask some questions about these tools.
>
> 1. As i know, clamscan and f-prot can do this work for me. but they
> seems don't support NTFS.

Why should an individual program support any filesystem?  That's the
OS's job to understand.

> 2. My friend told me f-prot is too old to use. And in
> systemRescueCD and Helix, these two kinds of liveCD all use
> clamscan. Does it mean clamscan is better than f-prot?

Clamscan is free, f-prot is not, so yes by default.

> 3. As you know, Windows have so many virus, so, can anybody tell me
> any kinds of tools in linux scanning virus for windows?

The only known 100% effective measure against Windows viruses is
prevention.  Friends don't let friends use Windows.

> 4. Does clamscan have user interface, or is it just command in
> terminal? Thanks very much for any idea!!

You ask the wrong question.  "Does it have a user interface, or does
it have training wheels welded on and features removed for your own
safety?"

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca