weird problem

I'm running etch, and this was happening with sarge as well.

I have alsaconf working as expected. But after I let xscreensaver run,
for more than 30 minutes, neither gaim, or xmms will work. I am forced
to re-run alsaconf, which makes things correct.

I've cat'd /var/log/messages syslog, dmesg, with no sign of anything
wrong.

Any help with this problem?

THanks

--