Re: OT - DSL routers - (was "how to compute number bytes downloaded?")

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:41:25 +0100
Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> wrote:

> Robert Waldner wrote:
>
> >Do `ifconfig -a`, note the sent and received bytes of the proper
> > network device, do another after finishing with your "usual" network
> >
> > session. Compute. Watch out for 32-bit - counter overflow.
> >
> >A tad more easily, start `iptraf` just before and look at the
> >relevant
> > output just after.
> >
> >Anyway, have your "Xp roommate" count his own bytes. Or get a proper
> > router (free-OS - based) that can do the math properly for you.
> >
> >cheers,
> >&rw
> >

> Any chance of an example or two of these "free-OS based" routers?
> I'm in the market for a new 802.11g DSL modem/router but the thought
> of  trawling through the hundreds available leaves me cold.
>
> As well as the usual pointy-clicky web browser access I'd like
> something  with a command line interface and a serial port, but this
> just generates  puzzled looks on the couple of sales people I've
> spoken to.
>
> Many thanks for any replies. Email welcome if this is a bit too
> off-topic.

Here's a good list of Linksys routers (sorry for the long url - it
should be all one line):

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Content_C1%26cid%3D1115416836002&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I'm sure there are more from other companies, but hopefully others can
point us to references for it, as I'm drawing a blank right now.

HTH & HAND,
Jacob