Re: replacing window manager in gnome and getting usable screen shape

Hi,

On 7/21/05, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Allow me to display my ignorance: what is gdm? Is it another component
> of the x-windows-system? When I re-installed x-windows, it asked me to
> select gdm or xdm. It's not an acronym for gnome, is it? Let me man it.

Gnome Display Manager... pretty much the same functionality as xdm
just w/ some added featurse and lacking ugliness.

> But what is/are Shapes? I get seemingly related error messages on the
> console from openbox:
>
> Xlib:  extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> and other much more obstructive errors when i try blackbox and
> enlightenment.
>
> Hendrik, re your problem, could it be that you have the wrong video
> settings in your XFree86 config?

I would say it probably is a bad XF86Config-4... maybe he could post
his logs/config file somewhere?

Cameron Matheson