replacing window manager in gnome

I am trying to replace metacity in gnome with something else such as sawfish but I've got problems.

Now that I installed sawfish, blackbox and enlightenment to try them out, x-windows takes 5 times as long to start, pausing for ages on the 'window manager' stage (according to the debian splash screen)

I used apt-get to fetch the window manager packages, but I expect there is some more configuration I need to do but I can't find any docs on it.

I have tried to use selectwm, but it is not proving successful. If I choose sawfish for instance, I get error messages such as

"your X server doesn't suppot the SHAPE extension; aborting"

Anybody know what I should do here?

Thanks
Adam