Re: sawfish (was: gnome config & metacity)

Greg Folkert on 15/07/05 17:43, wrote:
Overall, I feel I am far better off doing the removal and purge, than I
was with the hand fixing. Reason being, things that annoyed me for the
last two years are now gone... replaced with stuff that works the way I
knew it should. As it did on other machines, even they using the same
Homedir off a server.

If your machine is significantly fast enough and you have good
bandwidth, it shouldn't take long at all.

OK I purged xserver-common and reinstalled and now I'm back to gnome & metacity.

I would like to ditch metacity for sawfish, but I can't get sawfish to install correctly. I used synaptic to remove metacity and install all the sawfish packages I could find, but it fell over somehow.

The symptoms are:

- x-windows took 5 times as long to start, pausing for ages on the 'window manager' stage (according to the debian splash screen)

- none of the windows had any window frames

- the hot keys for menus didn't function

- 'sawfish' on the command line failed saying 'can't open display:'

So I de-installed and am trying to get some help.

Help!!

Thanks
Adam

PS for the archives, to reinstall I had to apt-get x-windows-system, xserver-common and gnome.
--
Linux 2.6.11 Debian