Re: gnome config [was: metacity?]

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 14:38 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Greg Folkert on 14/07/05 20:29, wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 00:22 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >
> >>Shall I just apt-get remove gnome and then apt-get install it again?
> >>
> >>Or does that way madness lie?
> >

> > Yes, madness awaits. But, more madness awaits trying to fix you gconf
> > setup.
> >
> > I know, I completely rebuilt my gconf, everything under /etc/gconf/
> >
> > I ended up completely removing and purging my machine of even X to fix
> > the damn thing. I purged and manually removed *ANY* directories left
> > over from the removal.
> >
> > Before you remove anything... make sure you get a good snapshot of
> > everything installed. (dpkg --get-selections)
> >
> > And, also snap a list of everything to be removed. When you do an
> > "apt-get remove --purge xserver-common" is a BIG depends for many
> > things. It causes tons o stuff to be removed. Also those things
> > secondarily force other things to be removed.
> >
> > Overall, I feel I am far better off doing the removal and purge, than I
> > was with the hand fixing. Reason being, things that annoyed me for the
> > last two years are now gone... replaced with stuff that works the way I
> > knew it should. As it did on other machines, even they using the same
> > Homedir off a server.
>

> OK, I'm brave, I can do that but it would be good to hear other people's
> points of view first though........ :)
>
> Due to time constraints and my inability to fix gconf, I am living with
> the gnome desktop without a window manager. I find it only mildly
> debilitating and due to the same time constraints, I would rather avoid
> doing anything that will take hours of work.
>
> I am thinking of waiting until sid matures a bit and then doing a whole
> system upgrade.

If your machine is significantly fast enough and you have good
bandwidth, it shouldn't take long at all.

And waiting until Sid matures??? Wow, now that is a new one. Sid means
Still In Developement or Unstable. Never will Mature, you'll be
waiting... ummm. Forever?!

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

For technology that is