metacity?

I installed sarge a few months ago and use the default GUI alot - gnome - but now I've got a problem ever since I 'repaired' my system after the menu went apesh1t.

I had this menu issue which wouldn't go away even between reboots, and I noticed this process 'metacity' running. Along with a couple of other things, I removed the metacity package.

This got me my menu back and completely changed the look of gnome.

Since I actually prefer it how it is now, I would like to keep it as it is, except I get the following error message when I try to do certain things:

"your window manager does not support the show desktop button, or you are not running a window manager".

or

"cannot start the preferences application for your window manager - KWin has not registered a configuration tool"

I've got gnome - I thought that was a window manager. So what is metacity? I want to change a couple of things about my desktop

How best to sort this out?

Thanks
Adam