Re: metacity?

What do you mean, "You installed Sawfish". Do you mean you
installed the package and restarted the computer?

Try typing in gconf-editor and going to desktop > gnome >
applications

window_manager and editing the 'default' entry to say

/usr/bin/sawfish. The one above that should say current and
should be unwritable.

Well, I was totally confused, now I'm just somewhat confused :)

The most serious problem I think I have is that gnome's config is hosed. It takes about a minute to launch instead of the usual 10 seconds.

Second, I appear to have no window manager and installing sawfish seems to fail.

Shall I just apt-get remove gnome and then apt-get install it again?

Or does that way madness lie?

:O

Adam