Re: for the love of GOD! SATA DVD Burner

Mike wrote:

Brian Pack wrote:

According to the July Maximum PC (page 62), There are issues with 3rd party SATA chips on motherboards when it comes to optical drives. The Silicon Image chip would be one of those. They did not have very good results with the Silicon Image 3112 or 3114 controllers. I assume you've visited this page? http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm

You may need to tweak your BIOS to get it to work.

Not that one, I have a 716SA. The 712SA is a single layer burner. The problem is the drive works great on this system under windows. (this particular system is dual boot) From what I 'can' find about this issue, it seems as though no SATA optical drives will work under debian stock kernels. I read that under ubuntu and debian SATA ATAPI is disabled but that is all they said on what I read. And I don't know what that means since I've never compiled my own kernel. Plus I don't know if what I was reading still holds true, and I don't really want to start maintaining my own kernel anyways. They were talking about 2.6.10 where I have 2.6.11.

I just find it hard to believe that I am the only one on the planet trying to use a SATA burner under Debian and that makes me think it has to be something I'm doing wrong. I mean Linux or Debian has got to fully support SATA by now right? It's been around for years.

-Mike

hmmm, so wait... See I read things like this and it looks like Debian still hasn't started supporting SATA with its kernel configuration. Is this really whats happening here?

http://www.lazy8.nu/delld180/DebianLinuxOnDellLattitude810laptop.html

I read things that imply that Fedora supports SATA ATAPI. Whats wrong with it that prevents Debian from doing it but allows Fedora to do it with it's stock kernel? I don't know, maybe I'm just confusing myself even more.

-Mike