Re: for the love of GOD! SATA DVD Burner

On Sunday 17 July 2005 09:54 pm, Mike wrote:
> roach wrote:
> >SUPRISE!
> >
> >See somebody did answer. Now peel yourself off the floor and lets
> > continue...
> >
> >I doubt very much that this is a problem with linux and relates more to
> > your SATA controller chipset. Most chipsets assume that you'd only
> > connect a harddrive and therefore only support harddrives.
> >
> >What is your SATA controller chipset? If you've got more than one kind
> > have you tried on the other?
> >
> >BTW, I know this to be true because I wanted to buy a plextor CD drive and
> >found out it was incompatible with my motherboards SATA chipsets :-(
>
> Amazing! My first response to this question out of all the times I've
> even brought it up! Thank you!
>
> lspci shows it as this;
> 0000:01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD
> Technology Inc) SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

<snip>

> I have 2 DVD drives, the burner and the DVD rom on my IDE controller. I
> just can't seem to find the SATA DVD burner which I believe is due to it
> not being there. I'm kind of lost but I *think* it is just ignoring that
> its there. By the looks of it to me, it looks like it should be
> detecting just fine, giving me my sd* that I can use with it. But None
> of that seems to be happening. And I'm sort of lost.

According to the July Maximum PC (page 62), There are issues with 3rd party
SATA chips on motherboards when it comes to optical drives. The Silicon Image
chip would be one of those. They did not have very good results with the
Silicon Image 3112 or 3114 controllers.

I assume you've visited this page?
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm

You may need to tweak your BIOS to get it to work.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/darkaudit/