Re: Help me Please: I've Gone and Done Some Thing Really Stupid.

David R. Litwin wrote:

>So, when I execute apt-get install kdebase, it gives a whole whack of
>packages saying that kde can not be installed because it depends on
>that list: none of which will be installed. Then, it gives an E:
>Broken packages.
>
>I'm fairly sure I remember it did the same when I tried apt-get install kde.
>
>What now can I do?

I'd give aptitude a try, as in "aptitude install kde".

I'd also do an "aptitude dist-upgrade". Of course, prior to both of
these I'd do an "aptitude update".

"aptitude" may fix what "apt-get" doesn't.

>If my Gnome worked, I would be a bit happier: But, when I try that, it
>loads up until Nautilus, then the splash screen goes away and it tries
>to load the upper bar over and over again: It does not work. I've not
>used Gnome for months: When last I did and I chose log out, it would
>freeze. So, I've never really had it working properly.

I'd purge all the gnome-related files/directories in my home directory,
as a start.

> But, owing to
>my using KDE exclusively, I never thought it necessary to fix Gnome. I
>tried apt-get install gnome: It gave three packages (including
>Bluefish: What is that?

westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> sudo aptitude show bluefish
Password:
Package: bluefish
<snip>
 Bluefish is a GTK HTML editor for the experienced web designer. Its
features include nice wizards
 for startup, tables and frame; a fully featured image insert dialog;
thumbnail creation and
 automatically linking of the thumbnail with the original image; and
configurable HTML syntax
 highlighting.

In the meantime, you can always install a simpler window
manager/environment, such as icewm or wmaker or fluxbox. I prefer icewm,
myself, when not using KDE.

aptitude install icewm

--
Kent