Re: Help me Please: I've Gone and Done Some Thing Really Stupid.

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> David R. Litwin wrote:
>
>> My Debian was being evil and wouldn't load due to some mouse troubles
>> (which I really need to fix; but that comes later) and so I tried to
>> apt-get my way out of the situation (It would but up and start X
>> (KDE), but this resulted in no gui: only command line. So I apt-got
>> from there). It asked me to download some thing that would get rid of
>> 171 things. In a Momentary Lapse of Reason (I've had very little
>> sleep), I pushed yes.
>>
>> It turns out that those 171 things was KDE.
>>
>> I have no KDE, my Gnome will not work (for some reason) and I forget
>> the apt-get install code for KDE 3.4.1.
>>

> There is a meta package called kde. If you install this, it will pull
> all the kde related dependencies. It is very easy to do this.
>
> 1) become root
> 2) Issue the command
>   apt-get install kde
>
> Follow the instructions on the screen.

Except that KDE is only up to 3.3.2 (I believe) in Sid; David must've
installed KDE 3.4.1 from some other non-Debian source, and when he
upgraded, these unofficial sources probably did not play nice with the
official packages coming from Debian, and thus were uninstalled.

It's sometimes painful to live with the older software in Sid (as
oppposed to the hot-off-the-presses version of whatever individual
application you're considering), but sometimes, it's even more painful
to go outside of the official Debian repositories. I'm afraid David got
bit on this one.

David; you'll probably want to post the contents of your
/etc/apt/sources.list file, and hopefully someone who likes to live
outside the official Debian world can help you figure out how to get KDE
3.4.1 back on your system.

--
Kent