Re: Help me Please: I've Gone and Done Some Thing Really Stupid.

The KDE 3.4.1 that I have comes from the Alioth web-site. It has given
me (essentially) no trouble.

This whole things came about when I started Linux and KDE would not
start. This was due to mouse problems. I am not sure, but there is
certainly some thing wrong with the setup of my mouse. It has given me
a kernel panic quite a few times (every other day) which I rectified
via fsck. But, it gave me a message the last time I did this (I. E.:
when this fiasco started) saying running that programme could cause
considerable damage. So, I didn't run it: I tried to apt-get my way
out of it (which doesn't really make sense: but it worked). It did
work... up until it said it can not install gaim because it can not
install libaspell15. To install that, it had to remove 171 packages:
KDE. I stupidly said yes.

So, when I execute apt-get install kdebase, it gives a whole whack of
packages saying that kde can not be installed because it depends on
that list: none of which will be installed. Then, it gives an E:
Broken packages.

I'm fairly sure I remember it did the same when I tried apt-get install kde.

What now can I do?

If my Gnome worked, I would be a bit happier: But, when I try that, it
loads up until Nautilus, then the splash screen goes away and it tries
to load the upper bar over and over again: It does not work. I've not
used Gnome for months: When last I did and I chose log out, it would
freeze. So, I've never really had it working properly. But, owing to
my using KDE exclusively, I never thought it necessary to fix Gnome. I
tried apt-get install gnome: It gave three packages (including
Bluefish: What is that?) which could not or would not be installed:
So, no Gnome installation.

If more information is needed, I will try to get it. Beware, though:
I'm not good with accessing files (like sources.list) from
command-line (when I say not good, I mean nearly allergic).

Thank you kindly in advance.