Re: windowmaker

Andy Streich wrote:
Hi,

Based on advice on this list to maestro I'm considering switching to windowmaker:

I no longer have time to spend hours tweaking config files, and thus
prefer an integrated desktop environment, but GNOME and KDE are too
bulky for my PIII-650 / 320MB workstation

I'm even resource-poorer with a PII-400/128MB workstation. I tried KDE, switched to GNOME, and now am investigating windowmaker. Can anyone give me pointers to information about what to expect? Specifically,

1.  resources to learn/understand windowmaker

Dunno, never read anything, just use it.

2. email client that works well (and lightly) in that environment (love KMail, but the overhead is too much on my system)

Thunderbird? There isn't really any kind of WindowMaker specific email client, so anything will do. mutt? pine?

3. package manager, I've been using Synaptic. Am I right in assuming that aptitude is the way to go in a windowmaker environment or am I reduced to the command line?

aptitude works very nicely in windowmaker.  It's my default.

4. am I just too optimistic that my old system is adequate to run some kind of GUI on linux?

Probably not. Windowmaker takes 4MB compared to how many hundreds for KDE? emacs (x-window mode) takes up more RAM.

5. where do I learn about how to change from booting into a GNOME dm to login to a windowmaker dm?

Change the default?

FYI I'm a dinosaur that learned programming in FORTRAN with punch cards in the '70s. Even in the '80s 128MB of RAM was a supercomputer and people (from HP if I recall correctly) were writing papers claiming that 50Mhz CPUs were impossible.

I love punch cards.  Did you ever use the paper tape?